Scottish Gaelic Spellchecker (Universal)
An Dearbhair Bheag – a universal (GOC and traditional spelling) spellchecker for Scottish Gaelic
latest release: 2023-02-21 21:34:41
[There is a small bug in LibreOffice which causes the program to ask you to install an extension again after restarting. You can simply click Ignore if it asks you to install the same extension for a second time.]
This will add a Scots Gaelic spell-checking extension to your local version of LibreOffice. It is based on database behind Am Faclair Beag and contains some 80,000 headwords (i.e. taigh, òl, brèagha...) and rules that handle things like lenition, initial n- t- h-, endings such as -sa, -eigin and so on. As a result, it will spellcheck just over 2.8 million words, making it by far the biggest Gaelic spellchecker to date.
Please note the following:
- This is an Universal spellchecker. That means it will accept any spelling that is correct in both traditional systems and GOC. For example, it will accept mór and mòr, doras and dorus and dàinig and tàinig. If you want a GOC-only spellchecker, use this version of the Dearbhair Beag.
If you already have Check spelling as you type activated in LibreOffice (i.e. you see red lines appear under mis-spelled words), you usually need to do the following to spellcheck Gaelic:
- Ok. You can now see the suggestions for mis-spelled Gaelic words by right-clicking on an underlined word.
If you haven't got Check spelling as you type activated in LibreOffice (i.e. you do not see red lines appear under mis-spelled words), you usually need to do the following to spellcheck Gaelic:
- Roghainnean cànain/Language Settings
- Innealan-taic sgrìobhaidh/Writing Aids
- Ceartaich an litreachadh fhad 's a bhios tu a' taidhpeadh/Check spelling as you type
- Then proceed as above
If you're using the Gaelic version (i.e. all LibreOffice menus are in Gaelic already), you usually don't have to do any of that to get the spellchecker to work. If you're still using LibreOffice in English, why not give the Gàidhlig version a try?
If you have any problems, follow the link to Fòram na Gàidhlig and we'll do our best to help you!
San tionndadh seo:
- barrachd fhaclan
- .aff ùraichte (an cois forcadh an dearbhair GOC
Several Improvements in 3.2
- Bigger lexicon
- Fixed wrong accent conversion in loanwords (e.g. María » Marìa)
- Set Nosplitsugs to prevent false compounds from being suggested
- Added more REP (replace) lines to improve suggestions for typos which are too distant for the Hunspell algorithm (e.g. ceithreamh now suggests ceathramh)
- bigger lexicon
- fixed wrong accent conversion in loanwords (e.g. María » Marìa)
- set NOSPLITSUGS to prevent false compounds from being suggested
- added more REP lines to improve suggestions for typos Hunspell has no g 3.3 Linux, Windows, macOS GPL Download 3.1 More words, fixed some errors 3.3 GPL Download 3.0 Bigger lexicon 3.3 GPL Download 3.0 Bigger lexicon 3.3 GPL Download 2.9 Barrachd fhaclan, mearachdan air an ceartachadh 3.3 GPL Mar a thuirt mi, tha barrachd fhaclan ann (barrachd air 1.1 millean) is mar is àbhaist, chaidh àireamh (bheag) de mhearachdan a thoirt às. Download 2.8 Extended vocabulary 3.3 GPL Extended vocabulary Download 2.7 More words checked 3.3 GPL More words checked (over 700,000 now) Download 2.6 More words, removed some wrong forms 3.3 GPL More words, removed some wrong forms Download 2.5 - the usual dictionary improvements (bigger, some errors fixed)
- new noun categories tagged properly
- nascent support for (English) proper nouns 3.3 GPL
- the usual dictionary improvements (bigger, some errors fixed)
- new noun categories tagged properly
- nascent support for (English) proper nouns
Now preventing erroneous compounding e.g. mi + nàdarra > mi-nàdarra 3.3 GPL Download 2.2 Bigger dictionary file, some bad forms removed 3.3 GPL Download 2.1 Fixed h- n- t- issue (weren't correctly applied to non-root forms) 3.3 GPL Download 2.0 Dictionary built only on Am Faclair Beag entries excluding Dwelly's, various language specific fixes 3.3 GPL Download