Alternative Find & Replace for Writer (AltSearch)
Tags: Extensions Writer
last edited: 2023-01-24
Extension that adds many new features to Writer's find & replace function.
- Fast selection preset regular and extended expressions
- Searched or replaced text can contain one or more paragraphs
- Search out block of paragraphs delimited by two text marks
- Multiple search and replacement in one step
- Searching: Bookmarks, Notes, Text fields, Cross-references and Reference marks to their content, name or mark and their inserting
- Searching and inserting Footnote and Endnote (from version OOo 2.3 only). It is possible to select at once texts of all footnotes or endnotes and to assign them any style
- Searching object of Tables, Pictures and Text frames according to their name; it is possible to substitute them by any text, etc.
- Changing into found or replaced text: paragraph style, character style, list style and Hyperlink's URL and set properties
- Inserting and replacement: clipboard contents, insert replacement counter and page number
- Hexadecimal also decimal submission character for search and replaced
- Searching out manual page and column break and their set up or deactivation
- Searching similarly or the same manually formatted part of text, according to cursor point
- Count found occurrences
- Redirecting result of replacing expression to the other text file
- Batch mode: saving and loading of search and replacement parameters; it is possible to save several searching and replacing subsequently to the single sequence and that whole quickly execute after. Execute the batch with more opened text documents together.
- Self dialogue for quick assignment of key shortcut to batches
- Preserve capitalization - If found text begins with a capital letter, also the text replacement will begin with a capital letter
- Searching for paragraph, character and list style; possibility to choose a style from the menu
- Built-in help (http://www.volny.cz/macrojtb/HelpAltSearch_en.html)
- Languages: English, Czech, Russian, Spanish, German, French, Dutch, Italian
Additional documentation: http://macrojtb.hys.cz/AltSearchScr_en.html
- Release Description Compatibility Operating Systems License Release notes
- 1.4.2 Fixed error after starting on LO 188.8.131.52 3.3 Linux, Windows, macOS LGPL Download
- 1.4.1 Minor graphic fixes. 3.3 LGPL Download
- 1.4 ICU regexp, bookmarks support, multibatch, formated counter. Several fixes. 3.3 LGPL Download
AltSearch - First release on this server
For known problems please seeDownload
Jan Mieszczanek 24 févr. 2023 à 13:03 (Il y a 35 jours)
I used this extension in former versions of LO (with satisfaction). Now (ver 7.4, Win 11) I can't even install it.
The latest version of AltSearch is dated 2017 and was compatible with LO 5.3.
I have long dreamed that there will be a proficient programmer who will continue the work of Thomas Bilek...
Andrew Rowland 16 janv. 2023 à 18:33 (Il y a 2 mois)
Very old-fahsioned appearance, and crashed LO7.3 when I installed it, but 5* for functionality.
Hard to credit that 'Preserve capitalization' is not an option in the regular Find/Replace dialog yet, but this extension makes replacing one word with another -- whether at the start if a sentence or not -- a cinch.
Ben Guy-Williams 1 déc. 2022 à 09:32 (Il y a 4 mois)
Bill Winder 16 oct. 2022 à 04:21 (Il y a 6 mois)
Can't install! Suggestions?
C:\Users\WGW\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\4\user\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\lu189085z1mw0.tmp_\AltSearch.oxt does not exist.
D G 17 sept. 2022 à 11:49 (Il y a 7 mois)
1.4.2 was working with Ubuntu 22.04 1 LTS when it suddenly uninstalled itself (the icon was gone from the toolbar).
Now, if I try to install it (from the Extension Manager) I get the following error:
/home/[...]/.config/libreoffice/4/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/lu263155zk80.tmp_/4cc0f88b_altsearch.oxt does not exist.
So I reset LO to factory settings, and I could install it.
Thank you Tomas for this extension! I really wish it was fully integrated with LO (especially the list of saved replacements and the unifying of the replacement symbol which is presently different: $ LO and \ in Altsr).
For some reason, some find/replace strings only work in the LO standard advanced search and replace.
Jade H 28 août 2022 à 10:02 (Il y a 7 mois)
No matter the version, it won't start on Ubuntu 22.04, LibreOffice 7.3. It sends back this error message :
BASIC runtime error.
An exception occurred
Yogi Bear 13 juin 2022 à 12:27 (Il y a 10 mois)
Works great. Thank you, Tomáši. :)
pascal christoph 17 avr. 2022 à 12:35 (Il y a 12 mois)
Works great using libreoffice Version: 184.108.40.206.
If installed a green spyglass icon appears at the top left. Usage is nice because there is a drop down list of regex with descriptions of what they are doing.
Sometimes a bit slow (on a text with >200 pages) - don't interrupt and just wait some minutes.
Naomi Winebrenner 18 nov. 2021 à 19:34 (Il y a 17 mois)
I don't know if it's the new update or what, but this went from working like a dream to not working at all on the one thing I *need* it for (replacing all numerals in a selection with superscript numerals). It still does ordinary find and replace, just not that.
Erin Kretsmer 29 nov. 2021 à 17:25 (Il y a 16 mois)
Naomi, I don't know if this helps, but there are multiple releases available on this page. Perhaps you could uninstall, download an earlier version, and use the older version for your purpose.
Peter T 24 oct. 2021 à 22:35 (Il y a 17 mois)
An extremely useful extension that I have been using for a long time with OpenOffice and LibreOffice. Thanks for this.
The tooltip and menu item used to show "Alt. Najít a nahradit", so I patched "addon.xcu" to fix that. The country codes must be removed from the language codes, i.e. it must be "en" instead of "en-GB" etc., then the correct translation is displayed.